Wednesday, February 03, 2010

Equality under the maw

New York Times:

Critics argue that the presence of gay service members makes the military less unified and effective. There is strong evidence that this is not so, including the experiences of nations, such as Canada and Britain, where gays serve openly. A policy of driving out good and talented people -- including ones with much-needed skills in Arabic, Farsi, and other languages -- makes the military less effective.

Insofar as we have institutions, it would be a very nice gesture if they didn't discriminate.

Having said that, it might be a welcome change if we began to discriminate -- at least insofar as we have institutions.

1 comment:

Ethan said...

As a gay myself, I've always been happy knowing that the military wants as little to do with me as I do with them. I honestly don't know that I want that to change.