Saturday, June 14, 2003

Patriotism

Americans answer the call of their nation in different ways. Today I received notice from an old college friend of his decision to leave a vibrant career in information technology so that he might chart a new course in our nation's military. For those of you who knew Matt in college, the development should not be entirely surprising. Here is the body of his letter as he sent it:



Dear friends and family,

In this time of international tension, I have felt the call of my nation in the tears of every child in need of liberation. With this in mind, I have decided to terminate my employment at Level(3) communications in Denver, CO and seek a position in our nation's military. Though I have experienced some trepidation about this life change, I think it is the best thing I can do to help make the world a better and safer place. I have been in contact with an Air Force recruiter, who assures me that there is a new fast-track flight school program that will make use of my personal talents and aptitudes. I am very interested in a special operations team that looks like it offers some exciting opportunities.


Please do not be concerned about this sudden change; I am approaching this challenge in the best of spirits. Despite security concerns, I wanted to share w/ you this picture of a fellow cadet on my team who is about to graduate into an "active" combat role. I'm anxious to join the team, and I look forward to showing the world what American ingenuity can do.

See you in the big blue!

Matt