Saturday, August 23, 2008

What is wrong with feminism today

I am about to tell you...

The beginning of Wikipedia's entry on feminism:

Feminism is a discourse...

Feminism is a discourse. Do you know what that means? Do adolescent girls? What about my mom? Or my sister?

To me, it sounds like feminism is a conversation with someone who can't say four words without becoming incomprehensible because they simply have too much graduate school debt to feel comfortable doing otherwise. But perhaps that is just me.

Alternatively, I suppose it is possible that feminism is more like a fireside chat with Tina Fey -- or perchance a drunken confession from Paris Hilton. I mean, who really knows what feminism is anyway -- and how could we ever? It is just a frilly pink mystery.

Now tell me what in world Joe Biden is going to do about it. This is a man whose track record with the Thosepeoples of the world may well have him penning a pro-woman tract entitled "What Women Get from Men: DICK; Take It Anyway You Want To"; that is if by "penning" I mean "pasting" -- which apparently I do. Yes, ladies, we may be screwed with Biden, but at least we won't be beaten.

1 comment:

Jean said...

Jesus, what a load of crap. I like Rebecca Lamb's characterization much better:

"I myself have never been able to find out what feminism is; I only know that people call me a feminist whenever I express sentiments that differentiate me from a doormat or a prostitute."

I like Alan Sokal's down to earth brand of leftism, too, much better than the post-modernist gobbledegook version:

"I confess that I'm an unabashed Old Leftist who never quite understood how deconstruction was supposed to help the working class."