Tuesday, July 08, 2003

Ten: Riddles in the Dark

The corridor was still. No boss, no bludgeon. On the other hand I couldn't see very far, not even to the end of the hallway, nor back to the elevator, peering as I might.

"Christ almighty," I observed.

I oriented myself in keeping with Maureen's instructions and began to tread
lightly in this direction. So far so good. A little ice would do well, I thought. I only hoped there would not be a crowd, nor any dancing. I'd hate to make something like this into a major production. How long is this hallway, anyway? It seems not to run perfectly straight either, rather in some kind of trend-setting arc. It's a pretty fascinating hotel, after all. And how about that crazy shower? I would get to the bottom of that before I left, that was sure. Somebody's bottom had to be got to, anyway, if the date was to be deemed a success. By the standards of on-line dating this was a watershed moment which now rested wholly in my capable, if violently tremulous hands. All things being equal, it was unfortunate that I had since assumed the role of hunter-gatherer, which I have never enjoyed, except perhaps when I can find a 2/$3 bargain on bread at ACME. Saturday nights are the best time to go, when the greasy throng are busy sluicing themselves up for date-rape and a fist-fight on Delaware Avenue, although by that time there is not much hope left for bread, or for produce; but at the very least my sanity is preserved, and I can oft times escape unmolested by man or child--

"What the hell was that?" I started. Some distance behind me was suggested the soft thud as of a door closing. There was nothing to be seen; the distance was too great. I held perfectly still. Even my breathing was suspended. What was that? Footsteps? Or the intolerable din of blood in susurration about my head! Oh, what torment held sway in that moment! It could very well be footsteps; after all, there was no reason to imagine Maureen's boss did not have feet! And now with everyone spying about for terrorists!

"Oh fuck," I declared.

I endeavored to hasten my emaciated frame down the corridor. In confrontation I am pointedly bereft of any natural ability; but in flight I am more than able. I also boast an impressive gait--all the more impressive after years of not owning a car, relying on my dogs as a regular means of propulsion. It was clear to me that I could outrun a small, spiteful man. But could I evade him?

No comments: