Wednesday, October 20, 2004

from szettner.blogspot.com
A lot of what passes for political dialogue in this country is just blatant lying. The government has an advanced degree in it, as governments typically do. I suppose our system works so the politically active sector of the population focuses wholeheartedly on the (not subtle) lies of the other side, rarely questioning their own; there are only two choices, after all. In the meantime, the rest of the population (50%--maybe more?) doesn't even participate. That leaves us with relatively small numbers of very vocal liars dominating the American political system.

4 comments:

Sheryl said...

Fair enough. I won't pretend my message was not an endorsement on Kerry and indictment against Bush. However, I did try to stick to facts to make my case.

The only negative things I read about Kerry in my research seemed very minor, whereas just about everything I looked up on Bush lead me to some other ugly thing. If you would like to know about Kerry's negatives, I will be happy to email you about it. I'd write it in the blogs, but they'd use it to make mountains out of molehills.

I think in some ways this election is about whether people want clean government or cronyism. I really do. I'd cross my heart, but that sounds painful.

Sheryl said...

PS Thanks for commenting in my blog. I was starting to feel a bit overwhelmed from the right, except for Paul's comments.

Have you visited his site yet, Ryan? He takes pretty photos, and I am not usually an enthusiast for scenic photos. I tend to prefer people pictures.

gecko said...

I would rather see it all as misleading rather than lying. It is all in the eye of the beholder; Republicans will see lie after lie from the Kerry camp and Democrats will see lie after lie from the Bush camp. It is our (at least mine, anyway) to seek out the truths within the "lies". I don't believe as Sheryl does about cronyism; it is just too prevelant on both sides of the aisle. I think rather that the issue is who can lead. Nuetral enough for ya?

Sheryl said...

I do not deny that Bush is good at leading. That is why I named my peace song "The Pied Piper of Crawford."

But as John Kerry said in on the early democratic presidential debates (and I am paraphrasing) that one of the lessons he learned in the navy was that when you are heading for the rocks, it's time to turn the tiller. Some might call that "waffling," but tell that to the passengers of the Titanic.