Tuesday, July 08, 2003

Give It Up, Let It Go



This song is one of my favorites. From a woman's perspective it may have much more "crunchy" guitar than we normally tolerate--I am not a woman, but my musical tastes are largely emasculated: I don't care for crunchy guitar myself--but what's great about this song is how melodic it is. The harmonies are crazy, like something out of the Beach Boys. Check out the harmonies on the very last chorus of the song. Crazy-retarded. I can't tell you what this song is about, but with a name like Give It Up, Let It Go, I like to think of it as an anthem for life; or, if nothing else, my music career.






Give It Up, by George

What began with an
Earnest yearning
For pure utility
Quickly became
A hemispheric purging performed
With Stalinesque finesse

All their papers burned
And their tapes erased
With their arms cut off
All hands were lost
Left helpless for anonymity
To snuff their infamy

Not revenge for an
Opaque offense
Merely irrelevence
Lesson to be learned:
Muses, use your aesthetes with care
For they're your archivists