Monday, March 01, 2004

9

A lap dance at Show and Tel is ten dollars. Ten American dollars--not yen. For some reason my friend still had all this yen on him, if you can imagine that. He'd given away all his American currency in exchange for not having an opportunity to at least have sex with someone. Anyway, the Korean stripper wouldn't accept yen as payment for a lap dance. Yen is Japanese, after all, and the stripper was Korean. It's not all the same to them--even when you insist it should be. I told my friend to ask for a Japanese stripper instead. But you could tell he wasn't too hot on that idea, on account that he just broke up with a Japanese girl. I couldn't blame him, really. He probably didn't want to risk having his lap danced upon by somebody too much resembling his ex-girlfriend. She would have to be just Asian enough to create the right effect, though, that's for sure. That's why I thought it couldn't hurt to ask.

For my part, I was against the whole idea. It wasn't only because I knew my friend would hit me up for the cash. It wasn't only that, is what I'm saying. Because the truth of the matter is that I am something of a feminist, actually. I'm not really a practicing feminist--I haven't been in any parades or anything--but I've dated some girls and I'm pretty up on women's issues, as a general rule. I'm not afraid to admit it, either. The only problem with being a feminist is that you can't admit it all the time. Like when you're hanging around strippers, trying your damndest to be nonchalant on account that you have no money to squander on their services. That's probably one of the worst times to present the old feminist argument--even though it's probably one of times when you really should. That's my problem with the old feminist argument. It always seems like the times when you really should present the old feminist argument are always the worst times to do it. Anyway, I had a lot of respect for this Korean girl. I didn't want to see her compromise herself by accepting my American dollars for the entertainment purposes of my friend. But I knew all too well the old stripper feminist-counter argument. Strippers have a feminist-counter argument which they will use whenever you try to present them with the old feminist one. I won't elaborate on the old feminist-counter argument. I'll just say I knew better than to try to present the old feminist argument, in this particular circumstance. I didn't trust this Korean stripper enough that she wouldn't bring up the old feminist-counter argument right in my face. So I just kept the old feminist argument to my damn self, even though it would have been good for everyone to hear it.

No comments: