Monday, August 24, 2009

Interview with Malcom Gladwell

WhoisIOZ?:

IOZ: Malcolm [Gladwell], what is your new book about?

MG: Well, IOZ, it's about how when you call across a room, street, or open outdoor area to someone who hasn't previously noticed you, they will hear you and become aware of your presence. This is really a remarkable phenomenon, but much of the newest research has yet to be written about for a general audience. I got the idea one day when I was in Manhattan. I was on Bleeker, and suddenly someone called, "Hey!" Before that, I hadn't known he was there. Afterward, I did. So I started to ask myself, what goes on in that moment. What is the real story there? In a broader sense, it is a book about what it means to be human.

I have to admit: I've never heard of Malcom Gladwell. And yet, by listening to NPR, I know him well!

No comments: