Saturday, November 27, 2004

Close the School of the Americas

from Sojourners
The School of the Americas (SOA) - renamed the Western Hemisphere Institute for Security Cooperation in 2001 - is a combat training school for Latin American soldiers located at Fort Benning, Georgia. During its 56 years of existence, the SOA has used U.S. tax dollars to train more than 60,000 Latin American soldiers in counterinsurgency techniques, sniper training, commando and psychological warfare, military intelligence and interrogation tactics. These graduates have consistently used their skills to wage war against their own countries' civilians. Among those targeted by SOA graduates are educators, union organizers, religious workers, student leaders, and others who work for the rights of the poor. Hundreds of thousands of Latin Americans have been tortured, raped, assassinated, "disappeared," massacred, and forced into exile by those trained at this "School of Assassins."

Please support HR 1258, a bill to close, investigate, and prevent another cosmetic remake of the SOA.

5 comments:

Sheryl said...

Tom wrote a song about The School of Americas a couple of years ago. I think I told you about Tom. He's the Nader supporter I like to wind up occassionally in Minnesota. (Don't worry, Ryan; he winds me up right back.)

It takes years to download, but it's his best song of the three he has online (in my opinion):

http://artists.iuma.com/site-bin/mp3gen/27847/IUMA/Bands/Tom_Cleland/audio/Tom_Cleland_-_Teacher_of_Torture.mp3I'll have to link him to this entry, so he can see about this HR 1258.

Sheryl said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Sheryl said...

Hey Ryan!

The other day I couldn't post comments on your blog, but I could post things on mine. Now it's reversed.

Hey, TG's over! Post something new!

It's always a kick to hear someone else write what I think about things. Lorraine's been doing that too. Hey, you guys don't have access to my FBI files, do you? What started off as a comforting thought....

J.R. Boyd said...

Sorry, just getting over the flu.

Anonymous said...

Awesome website you have here but I was wanting to know
if you knew of any forums that cover the same topics talked about here?
I'd really love to be a part of group where I can get feed-back from other experienced people that share the same interest. If you have any recommendations, please let me know. Cheers!

My website :: more information