Friday, August 07, 2009

Can we really afford women in the middle of a recession?

Financial Times:

Having more women in the boardroom can hurt the financial performance of well-governed companies, according to research that is likely to be seized upon by opponents of diversity initiatives.

Somewhere deep in the heart of the free-enterprise system, somebody thought to themselves: "Let's contrast women with financial performance. That should work out well for humanity!"

But may I suggest that any social system which labors to reconcile its very definition of success with over half its population is no social system at all?

I am reminded of an aphorism which I attribute to Trotsky but, in any event, paraphrase; it animates my evangelism when I'd no doubt be better served by some premium doobage and Call of Duty 4000: You may not be interested in politics, but politics is very interested in you!

No comments: