Monday, December 13, 2010

Save yourselves

Richard Rohr, OFM:

As I fight my own demons of cynicism and loss of hope at the human situation, the earth situation, the national situation, and the church situation, I have come to believe that the response strong enough to overcome these many demons is to be in a state of constant gratitude for all that is given so freely, quietly, and undeservedly.

Tolstoy tells us: Happiness does not depend on outward things, but on the way we see them.

All the same, I'd just as soon not add to my list of "outward things" until at least January.

2 comments:

Salty Justice said...

I maintain my good outlook by looking at the problems from the other direction:
Humanity is so creative, productive, intelligent and friendly that it persists despite all the bullshit that has attached itself. States are incredibly destructive, wasteful entities, and in spite of them, we persist! Clearly our productive powers still outweigh their destructive ones!

JRB said...

Salty:

I like that a lot. I think you do Tolstoy proud.