Tuesday, November 09, 2004

The Organ Album Review

Finally some American press for my friends in Canada.

from The New York Times
On "Grab That Gun" (Mint), Deborah Cohen's guitar melodies are as hooky and sad as Katie Sketch's vocals, forming an awkward reply to each chorus. Comparisons to the Smiths and Joy Division are easy, but Ms. Sketch's lyrics have a remarkable way of being aloof without sounding arrogant. Anchored by a pumping Hammond organ, the songs on "Grab That Gun" are often quirky and unconventional, a record for daydreaming about breaking hearts and basement suites in the winter. We wish we had had this intelligent and subtle music in high school, when we needed something to explain what we would be feeling through most of our 20's.

7 comments:

Sheryl said...

Is that the Katie who sometimes posts in your blog then? Can't hardly beat a New York plug, eh?

Sheryl said...

New York Times, I meant. Geez, I am leaving out words right and left today. And I don't think I can even blame it on hormones. :-/ Just one of those foggy brained days.

Anonymous said...

Still think the Organ is best live

J.R. Boyd said...

No, Sheryl, a different Katie.

The new album is phenomenal, if you like the genre. Can't make heads or tails of the anonymous comment, since the songs are performed live with virtually no deviation from the album. I saw them last month in West Chester for the first time; they played through everything by the numbers.

Sheryl said...

OK, you convinced me!!!

I'm downloading a sample song right now. Of course, I have no money whatsoever to buy music right now, but experimenting is always fun. :)

Sheryl said...

Do you like the Bangles, Ryan? They remind me a little of the Bangles; maybe it's the girl band thing.

I really like the Bangles, especially "Manic Monday." In fact, I haven't listened to them in a while. I think I'll throw them in the CD. Lalalalala.

Anonymous said...

I meant that they are best when seen on the stage. not that they have an amazing show or anthing, rather they stand amazingly still considering. It's just that Cd's are good, but sometimes it's seeing a band live that convinces you that they're great. It's not easy to get the same sound as a Cd at the venue they played here in Denver, but they managed to do it. Which is why we bought the album...