Friday, November 05, 2004

Seeing Through the Great Divide

I don't own a television, but from what I hear of the post-election coverage it's probably the best thing for my recovery. There is some patent nonsense being thrown around about what the election means and how America is deeply divided along party lines. A lot of the talk seems to have suddenly shifted to "moral values," something I don't remember hearing articulated before, at least in that way. My belief is that people are capable of coming to their own conclusions about what the election means, and that listening too closely to the "experts" has the effect of stultifying our impulse to do so. The news networks are highly concentrated conglomerates, closely linked to the political system, and they tend to reflect it in their programming. So if what you hear coming out of the four or five "official" news networks makes you feel like you're living in an alternate reality, it's only because you're still capable of independent thought, and what you hear does not match-up with what you see.

Regarding the election, I think there are some common sense observations one can make. The first is that it was very close, and could easily have had a different outcome. Secondly, we have a deeply flawed voting system, unverifiable in large parts and highly inefficient in others. Thirdly, the "moral" dimension the election has taken after the fact should be considered closely in the light of professional politics, where morals have not traditionally fared so well.

The idea that the country is divided is an indulgence taken by two parties who enjoy a monopoly over the political system, and who see America divided in their own image. The fact is that ordinary liberals and conservatives both perceive themselves in a pitched battle against entrenched elites, championing the little man against oppressive concentrations of power within the society. That strikes me as an overwhelming unity amongst ordinary people, who all suffer the same decline in real wages, benefits, and living standards regardless of their religious views or political beliefs, but who, thanks to the binary nature of the political process, attribute them to completely different things--a breakdown in values on the one hand, and a lack of regulation on the other. The actual elites--the ones within the Democratic and Republican parties, and their corporate backers--know this and play each constituency accordingly, and this election was largely a function of whose propaganda was more effective. That's not to say there aren't real policy differences between the parties, but rather that neither wants an actual shift of power from elites to the general population. That's something which can only come from below, by people recognizing the real, horizontal divide that separates their shared lot in life as increasingly impoverished liberals and conservatives vs. the ownership classes (both liberal and conservative, by the way) who run the country.

6 comments:

Sheryl said...

My friend Charles emailed me a piece in Salon.com, where different people were arguing what we should do now. One I really liked was firing Terry McAuliffe. I'm not sure we cn actually fire him perse; I would think he was perhaps voted for at the National Convention. However, we could use this as an excuse to pressure him to step down.

I don't really see the party system the way you do though. I see it as skeletal structure that can either be controlled by elites or taken over by mainstream people. For me that was what Howard Dean was about. I would be really encouraged if McAuliffe stepped down and Dean stepped up. Because he energized people to get involved in the system, and I think he still could.

And if the media, which as you point out is married to the elites, had not done a character assasination on Dean, we might have had a very different outcome. They painted Kerry as the guy who "could win" knowing full well that Dean was actually the guy who could win.

I fully agree with you that the mainstream media are just a bunch of spindoctoring shmucks. I really resent what they did in this election. We own a tv, but we rarely watch anything other than NOW anymore. It's a real shame that Moyers is retiring, although you can hardly blame him. Especially now.

J.R. Boyd said...

Actually, I'm in agreement with you about the political system, although I think the term "skeletal" is too neutral. It defaults to the people who own it--and this is capitalism, after all. But practically speaking, I agree.

Sheryl said...

Stupid choices are a part of it. I remember at the state convention some people were positioned at the escalators during registration handing out bottled water with Vote For Joe type labels on them for this guy who was running for the DNC. I missed that election somehow, but based on how people seem to vote I bet you he won it. :( People always seem to be very impressed by the wheelers and dealers at those things. It's like a lot of people take it for granted that the folks who are running the show are the ones who should be running the show.

I really don't have a full grasp of how things work on the national level. I'd like to see the national party rules. I have never seen the party rules on their main website.

You know what, Ryan? I think I will email them and ask them to send me a copy of the national party rules. I would very much like to see them because I still would like to know when the national platform committee decided to have a pro-war platform how that related to the platforms submitted from the 50 states. Because if it didn't, then the whole state platform idea is just one big joke.

I have noticed that a lot of things at the state conventions are political red herrings. Well, like that article I sent you about platforms. All it's good for is a political statement, but whose?

I think the biggest problem with the system is that it's too bloody complicated. You almost have study things all your life to get a grasp of how they work, and most people don't have the patience for that.

You know the best thing about the election being is over is that we can rip into the party structure without empowering Bush from it.

Sheryl said...

They have wiped everything from the DNC website, except a letter from John Kerry!!! Maybe Terry is afraid.

http://www.democrats.org/

1138 said...

Did you try http://dnc.org ?

Party platforms have come to mean very little - Nixon and McGovern both ran on anti war platforms.

What ends up counting are the 'powers that be'.
Rove and Cheney are the powers that be on the Reepers side - Kerry didn't have the full backing of the Democratic powers that be and Dean fell out of the process because those powers saw that they were going to have a very hard time co opting him if he did get the nomination.

There's something very 'odd' about the balloting on Nov 2.
I don't think we can prove fraud and I really worry about the outcome if we could.
This incarnation of the Republican party makes the era of Tricky Dick look like Mary Poppins.
The MSM did not cover or report one single protest on Nov. 3rd & 4th, but there were dozens.
Why? Because the protests were unsponsored grass roots efforts - grass roots doesn't buy commercial spots in prime time.

Sheryl said...

Interesting. The url you gave goes to the one I mentioned, but it's back to it's normal format. I swear that yesterday there was just a letter from John Kerry to democrats.

OK, well I just asked where I could get a copy of the national party rules. We'll see if they accomodate.

If they don't I'll raise hell about it elsewhere, because I should have the right to know the party structure.