Monday, June 14, 2004

The American Tradition

Which leads me to my next question: Where has American conservatism gone?

The American tradition from the revolutionary period to the present has been fixated on the dangers of power, and on the tendency of power to corrupt. And it has been quite explicit on the kind of corruption it feared. Either the state apparatus would become an aristocracy in its own right, from the love of power and privilege, or it would function in the interests of an aristocracy of corporations and moneyed interests.

- Antiwar.com

1 comment:

Sheryl said...

This is a tad bit sensational, but they actually quote that Mussolini statement I mentioned linking corporatism with fascism!!! My friend Alyssa sent me this last year:

See http://www.takebackthemedia.com/bushnonazi.html