Sunday, June 20, 2004

The Meaning Behind 30 June

"I discern an unwritten rule among American journalists, that the American public is not interested in places which have their own government. The real significance of the so-called handover of sovereignty is that the Bush administration and its political advisers are hoping that the American press will take this moment as a cue to turn to reporting about Laci Peterson and other nonsense stories..."

- Prof. Juan Cole, History, University of Michigan

1 comment:

Sheryl said...

I like the title of their article.

I know I already showed you my letters to the editor, but for the sake of you readers, I'd like to point out that Machiavelli says that when you try to take over a country, you are supposed to send your ruler to live there, or at the very least send his supporters to colonize the region. Otherwise, the result is that you will destroy your own economy in the process.

And I guess if we had not already tapped a billion dollars of Iraqi oil, we would be in even deeper doo doo.